My testimony has never been challenged so much and yet it has never been stronger. I know that what I believe is true. I know that there is a Savior who came to this earth and who died for us that all mankind can live again. I know that I will see them again. I know that we will be reunited with our loved ones who have passed on, and that because of our Savior, we will live again. I know that our Heavenly Father loves and knows each one of us and that by putting our trust in Him we can endure any trial or test that is put before us. I know that we are here to experience those trials and tests and that if we endure them well we will have eternal life.
I listen to church music in the morning when I get ready for work. I listen to the scriptures on tape when I drive to work and I read them again at night. I start each morning and end each night with a prayer. I am striving to feel the Holy Ghost every day. Those moments when I feel love and peace are the moments I strive for. I feel such a contrasting difference when I feel despair and lack of hope. I think often about faith, hope, and charity. I know that is the way to return to my family again. I go back and forth between having those qualities, but I really am striving to live my life daily where I can have faith in God's plan for me, hope for my life and the time when I can hold my family again, and charity for others who are in need. I am striving for that everyday. It is not easy by any stretch. Everyday it is a choice, a continual choice.
The year mark was very tough. I was with family and friends so it actually made that day very special. We ran a 10k in their memory and spent the day doing things my family would have done. We went to an indoor bounce house in memory of Jace and his love to play. We went to a buffet in memory of Sheldon and his favorite way to eat. We watched a DVD tribute to their lives and released balloons. I felt so much love from everybody. I loved getting on Facebook and my email to see all the messages from my family, friends and even strangers who I have never met. I loved the flowers and gifts and all of the sweet birthday cards that were sent in the mail. I loved that we were celebrating my family on my birthday. That is how I would want to celebrate my birthday. I thought for a long time how terrible it was that they passed away on my birthday, but I actually feel grateful to have so many remembering them on my birthday. That is the best gift anyone could give me.
I feel like the week after my birthday was the hardest. That feeling of loneliness overwhelmed me as I thought about what my week would have been like with my family. I hate being alone. I hate not having Sheldon to talk to and Jace to play with. I hate not having them right next to me. I hate that I didn't get to celebrate with them. Sheldon was planning such a fun birthday celebration for me last year that never happened. We were going to go to the Great Wolf Lodge and spend two days at the indoor water park. I want that life back. I want to go back a year ago and be with them there. We found my birthday cake in Sheldon's car last year that he had bought for me. I found the blank birthday card he never filled out that he had bought for me. Instead of so much fun together, our family experienced the most traumatic events possible. A year later, I am still learning how to live this life without them. I miss my family. I miss them and I love them.
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has reached out to me this year. Thank you for the donations, the kindness, the service, the gifts, the kind messages, the prayers, and your love. Thank you for allowing me to see Christ like attributes and the goodness in life. Thank you. I could not have made it through this year without my family, friends, and strangers supporting me.
With love and gratitude,
Julie
6 comments:
Glad you had a good weekend with your family and that so many were celebrating their lives everywhere! They are so loved and missed! And we all love you so much too! Im sure the week after has felt very lonely. Im so grateful to know that there are "good things to come"as Elder Holland says. Some days that pulls me through and i look forward to happier days for you! You will deserve every one and more!
With tears streaming down my face I just wanted to tell you that you are truly an inspiration to all. I think about you and pray for you all the time. Your dear husband and wonderful son are very close! The Spirit World was best described to me (from a general authority) as it was compared to it being dark outside and when you are in your house and all the lights are on, you can't see out, but the person on the outside can see in. That's how the Spirit World is. We can't see our loved ones, but they are there! Your family is so close and they are watching over you. I've often thought that death would be much easier if we were just allowed short visits every so often. I think that sounds fair! :) While I don't know you personally, I am so happy to have gotten to know you through your blog and I wish the very best for you. Take care!
Julie,
You are truly an inspiration to us all. I really admire you and your strength.
Thank you for sharing your testimony, I can feel the spirit through your words.
Julie, You are such an inspiration to me! I think of you often and the incredible testimony that you have. You have touched me so many times over the last year with your words. I think of you often.
Your strength is amazing. I look forward to your updates because I truly care about how you are doing. But I have to be honest, I cry when I read your posts. From one mother to another, my heart is absolutely torn for you. Your posts help remind me how precious life is and to NEVER take a moment for granted.
My sister told me that I should look at your blog, because we're kind of related to Sheldon. (2nd counsin I think) But we had a brother who died 3 years ago and I totally know what you mean by this whole post. I was pretty devastated for a year and a half at least, but time goes on and eventually your fine. Although it takes a ton of faith and not giving up to get through it for a second. But it's great that there is the Plan of Salvation and great things like that. It can even be hard 3 years later though, just randomly a few months ago I had this depressing week and luckily I had some awesome friends who helped me out that week. :) But I saw that you got married again, so that's awesome and congrats! :D
Post a Comment