2.28.2017

5 Years

In a few weeks it will be five years since the passing of Sheldon and Jace.  Five years of sorrow, learning, growing, stretching when I really didn't want to, as well as five years of learning to be happy, starting a new life and learning to embrace the Savior and his atoning sacrifice.  I have learned a lot and I have also struggled a lot.  I have learned that the only way to survive losing loved ones is to embrace our Savior and the promises that the atonement brings.  I have learned that I am imperfect in every way and wish that I could handle my grief better or with more composure.  I have learned that there are many who have also lost and who continue on, who I can learn from.  I have learned to embrace life and be happy about the small things.  I have learned to smile again.  I have learned that Heavenly Father loves me.

Five years ago, was the worst day of my life.  It was a horrible, horrible, horrible day that still brings me to my knees if I stop and think about it too long.  I really wanted to go jump into the lake after the funeral and wished with all I had that I could be with them.  My everything was gone.  My identity was gone.  I was no longer taking care of Sheldon and Jace and they were not with me, but I also felt many comforting moments along the way.  Right after the accident I felt Sheldon was right next to me telling me he was so sorry and it was an accident.  I felt them at the funeral home standing on either side of me.  I felt them at the funeral and after their grave was dedicated, I felt that they were free from their bodies and that they were happy together.  I have had dreams of Sheldon telling me about the accident and how he was holding Jace in his arms when he passed out from the cold water.  I had a paramedic tell me there was a light from Heaven shining on my dear Jace when they found him.  I have had the confirmation over and over again that they have a work to do on the other side together and they are happy.  They care about me and miss me too.  I miss them.

Today, almost five years later I had a great morning.  I just put my little baby girl in her bed for her nap.  I am cleaning up the house and feel happy.  I kissed my husband goodbye this morning and I get to spend my days caring for him, my two step-daughters and our baby girl who will be two in a few short months.  Heavenly Father had a plan for me, one that I could not even imagine.  This year Jon and I will be celebrating four years of marriage.  I am so grateful.

I am thankful for staying on the course, for trusting in what I know, and allowing Heavenly Father to guide me through it.  I did this journey very imperfectly, but I am doing it.  I am learning as I go and I am thankful beyond measure for all my many blessings.  I still have a lot to learn and many days of both grief and happiness ahead of me.  I am thankful for this life I am living.

Love to all of you,

Julie
   

18 comments:

Charity said...

I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you were doing. I am so glad you posted and gave us an update, and even more glad that things are going well for you! Grief is a path that never ends, I have learned. it hits you out of the blue, when you don't expect it.

Amy said...

I am crying reading this! You are a strong, amazing, spiritual woman who I look up to!

Its a Wonderful Life said...

Thank you so much for the update! I think of you every so often and pray for you and wonder how you are doing. So good to hear you are well and that God has blessed you with a beautiful family.

Carissa and Jeff said...

Thank you very much for the update! I have wondered off and on throughout the years about you. Thank you!

anita said...

Thank you for the update I think if you often hugs to you and your beautiful family. You are very strong and such an inspiration 💗💗

Grandma Honey said...

I think about you very often so I was beyond excited you posted again after all these years! I was truly hoping you were happy again and I see you are. So many many things we do not understand about this earth life.

Your 3 daughters are beautiful! I hope you will let us learn more from you.
Thank you again for this wonderful update.

Dana said...

Oh sooo very happy for you! I have been wondering about you! Darling family.

Shantelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shantelle said...

I sent you a message using the email address in the "Contact Me" tab. I'm so glad to see this update and that you are able to find the happiness you deserve. You are so loved!

Lauren said...

Thank you so much for updating. What a beautiful surprise to read this. I'm so glad you're finding your way. I'd love to read more about your family if you can write about them. Again, thanks for checking back in with the cyber world

Alli Waldron said...

This brought tears of happiness and sadness to my eyes. My heart is still sad for the hard times you had to endure but I am also so happy for how you have grown and the life you have now. Love you!!

Cass said...

Thank you for the update! I have followed your blog for a long time and periodically check in to see if you were back :-) So happy to hear that you are happy and have a beautiful daughter and step daughters to love, along with your husband. Thank you for sharing about your struggles and faith - you truely are an amazing example. Praying for God to continue to bless your life and sustain you through the hard times. I am so happy to read that you feel His love, despite all you have endured xxx

Unknown said...

Julie, you are an amazing witness of what the atoning sacrifice of our Savior can do for one who puts their trust in Him. From a distance, Hilary and I have prayed for you and have admired your faith. Thank you for sharing your faith and your testimony publicly. With Easter in a few days, I can't help but think of what the resurrection means to you. We love you!

Mrs. Smith said...

Thank you for the update. I am thrilled to learn that you are doing well, and that you have a new baby girl, what a blessing. This post lightened my heart and gladdened my soul.

angee said...

I don't know you, but your story touched me years ago, and I followed your blog until you stopped writing. I'm so glad you wrote an update after so many years. I remember reading you were getting married again, but that was it. I've wondered since then what happened to you. Thank you for the update. I'm so glad you're finding peace and happiness again. Your family is beautiful! I'm so glad you've had some incredible moments through dreams that have brought you comfort after your terrible loss. I'm not very gifted with words, but please know there are people all over the world who are still praying for you and your family. God bless!

Tiffani said...

Thank you for the update! I think about you often. You are so strong and amazing! I am happy that you have such an eternal perspective and have made the best of a horrible situation. You have such a beautiful family!

Tracie said...

How thrilling to run across your blog after so many years wondering about you and praying for you and your family. So pleased that you are doing well and have found joy in your new life. Prayers for continued goodness for you and your family.

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to see this update. I've thought of you often over the years and have always wondered how your life has been blessed. I can't imagine enduring your hard trials, but I knew that the Lord would bless you for your strength and example.