I can’t believe I am writing this, but two weeks ago my
husband and son died. My handsome
husband and sweet son fell out of a canoe in Lake Limerick in Washington. They didn’t make it to the shore. The water temperature was too cold and they
weren’t wearing life jackets. It was my
birthday, March 17, 2012. We were
supposed to go to a church party at 6:30 that night and the next day we had
reservations at the Great Wolf Lodge to celebrate my 31st
birthday.
Jace and I spent a normal day together. He watched some television, we played with
his train set, we colored, and even played with some play dough. We even ate some cupcakes and we sang Happy
Birthday. Jace went down for a nap
around 2:30 and I read my book on my new Nook that Sheldon had bought me for
Christmas. Sheldon came home from work
around 4:00pm and he wished me happy birthday.
He brought home a chocolate cake and said we would eat it later that night
after the church dinner we were planning on attending. We talked about how I turned 31. Sheldon turned to me and said that I looked beautiful and he thought I
looked amazing. He gave me a big hug and
a kiss.
At 6:30 I noticed they should have been home. I went outside and saw the orange canoe. I thought it looked like no one was in the
canoe, but it being so far away I thought maybe I just couldn’t see them
clearly enough. The boat turned around
and I thought Sheldon had seen me and was turning the boat to come home. I went inside and packed the diaper bag. After about 15 minutes, I went outside to
greet them at our little beach, but I couldn’t see the canoe. I got in my car and drove to the club house
since there was a better view of the lake.
I saw two police men at the water’s edge looking through binoculars at
the canoe, which was now all the way on the other side of the lake. I asked them if anyone was in the canoe. They said no and I said my husband and son
should be in that canoe. I gave them my
address and phone number and told them I was going to drive around the lake to
look for them.
I thought maybe
Sheldon had tied up the canoe poorly and it had gotten away from them. I fully expected to pick them up on the side
of the road somewhere and bring them home.
After driving around the lake I went home to see if Sheldon and Jace
were there. The police had come and
immediately set up a search team. It all
happened so quickly. They sent a
chaplain from another denomination to talk with me. He asked me if he could call someone I knew
to come and be with me. I told him I
didn’t know anyone. I couldn’t think of
a single person I knew. I think I was in
shock. It took me about half an hour and
finally I could remember some of my friend’s names. I called my parents too. The search started at 7:00pm and by 10:00 I
was still holding onto the hope that Sheldon and Jace were lost someone and
they were not in that water.
When the Sherriff came in to tell me they had recovered
Jace’s body in the lake, pure terror and sorrow hit my body with such force I screamed
uncontrollably. I told them I had to see
Jace. They took me to the mortuary where I saw my
son, lifeless on a white table covered with a white cloth. He looked so beautiful and looked as if he
was sleeping. When I felt him he was so
cold. My little baby, who I have always
worried endlessly about keeping warm and out of danger, was dead. My husband was still missing and my life was
gone. I was able to hold Jace in my arms
one last time and tell him I loved him.
I was able to kiss him and his wet body soaked my clothing. I didn’t care. I wanted him to open his eyes and still be
alive. I wanted him to say hi mommy and
wake up from this nightmare. Walking
away from his body was the hardest thing I have ever done. How do I walk away from the baby we had
sought and prayed for, for seven years?
Through the blessing of adoption we were able to become
parents to little Jace. Our world
revolved around him. My world revolved
around our little family and it was taken for me in one hour, while I sat
reading a book. Sheldon was struggling
in the lake, trying to save Jace, while I sat and read a book. My family needed me and I wasn’t there. I should have been on that canoe. I should have been given the opportunity with
Sheldon to try and save Jace. I should
have been there to have Jace sit on my lap and hold him tight. He would have never gone in the water. I can just imagine a little fish catching his
eye and he put his arm in the water a little too far. I can imagine Sheldon’s terror when he
realized Jace was falling into the water and realizing he did not put the life
jacket on Jace. I can imagine Sheldon
jumping in and scooping little Jace up very quickly and trying to swim to the
shore. Both Sheldon and Jace had very
little water in their lungs, leaving us to believe they were both unconscious
before drowning. I think when little
Jace fell in he passed out immediately from the shock of the cold. I believe Sheldon was swimming with our unconscious
son in his arms. How far he made it, I
will never know. Was I watching when
they were swimming? Could they have been
on the other side of that boat while I watched it turn toward me? I will never know? Why Sheldon skipped that important step of
putting the life jacket on Jace, I will never know. What I do know, is that Sheldon died trying
to return our son to me. He died trying
to save Jace. He died during a heroic
act. He would never have returned to me alive without our son.
After two and half days of searching the search was called
off without finding Sheldon. Many people
wondered, I saw from the news reports, if Sheldon had somehow caused Jace’s
death and disappeared. Those people did
not know my husband. He was an honorable
man who loved me and our son. I knew
he was in the lake and it made me sick that such mean things were being said
about him. I only read one news report,
and that was enough. I knew he was in
the lake and we had to find him.
We decided to go forward with a viewing and funeral service
for Jace and a memorial service for Sheldon, since his body had not been found. That was on March 24, 2012. As we went forward with the day, I felt such
profound sadness that Sheldon was not there.
I prayed that volunteers would continue to search and that we would find
him. After the funeral services were
over, family and close friends congregated at our home on Lake Limerick. Multiple volunteers came out that afternoon
and evening to look for Sheldon. I kept
having the feeling that Sheldon’s body was close to where I had seen the canoe
turn so quickly, the time when I thought Sheldon had turned the canoe and was
coming home. I told multiple people this
in hopes they would search there, and they did.
I was counting down the minutes until it was 6:30, exactly a week ago
when I first realized they were late and hadn’t returned home. Sheldon’s mother received a call from her
husband, who was on a search boat, that they had found Sheldon. Tears were shed and prayers of gratitude were
said as well. How could I feel grateful
that they found the body of my husband in a lake? I was grateful because, we didn’t know if we
would ever have his body. Would people
be able to know, as I knew, that Sheldon would never have caused intentional
harm to our son? Yes, they would. We loved our son, and we loved each
other. Our marriage was happy and full
of laughter. Having, that sacred trust,
from Jace’s birth mother, when Jace was placed in our arms was something we
took very seriously.
A week later, on
March 30, 2012, we were able to have one more funeral service for Sheldon and
Jace. Kind words were spoken, words of
comfort were spoken, and happy memories were retold. Saying goodbye to my little family is the
hardest thing I have ever experienced. I
want so badly to hug them and kiss them again.
I know I will, just not now. They
were laid to rest in a beautiful spot overlooking the Salt Lake valley with the
University of Utah “U” in the background.
During the grave side service the breeze was blowing and I felt their
spirits were free from this mortal life and they are happy together.
My earth life has been altered forever. I know that we will be together again, just
not now. Moving forward with that
knowledge helps, but it doesn’t make it better.
I felt, in a way, that the funeral services, was my funeral too. I am saying goodbye to the life we made
together and having to move forward without them. The hurt is so raw and so overwhelming most
of the time. I look at the faces of
people who love and care for me and I know they have no idea what to say to
comfort me. I know they want me to feel
better, but I can’t and feel that I won’t until Sheldon and Jace are in my arms
again. I miss them and I love them. I take comfort in the Savior and His
resurrection, for the knowledge that we can be together forever someday. That song was sung at both funerals and I
felt strongly that was the message Sheldon and Jace wanted me to remember. Tears streamed down my face, when that song was
sung both times. I do believe the words
are true and that is what I am barely hanging onto when the minutes, hours, and
days seem unbearable without them.
Well it's hard to say Goodbye and Let go
And it's hard to see it end
When the memories we've just made may never happen again.
But it's harder for time to ever erase the together times
we've shared
So when we're apart, remember
All the Love we've shared together
And for all that love thank the Lord Above who shows us the
way
That, we can be Together Forever someday
We can be Together Forever someday
We WILL be Together Forever someday...
110 comments:
I'm so so sorry. I know the feeling of guilt of not being there for your child while they were struggling so much. I know how hard it is to walk out of a room without them. I can't even begin to comprehend how to do it without Sheldon by your side. We've sent many prayers your way, hoping the comforter will be with you.
I hope you don't mind, but I shared your story on my blog. I know how much prayers and donations help.
Sending love your way.
Ashley Sullenger
www.patrickandashley.blogspot.com
I love you so much Julie! I am so sorry that this happened and so sorry for your loss. I thought about you during every conference talk and wished there was some way to take away your pain. I know your burden is heavy, I wish I could take part of it upon myself, but I know the Savior can. I pray that you will have more feelings of peace and comfort from the Holy Ghost. You can do this. You have endured two weeks and with the spirit with you I know you can endure and even find happiness.
I love you Julie
I'm so sorry for your losses. Your son jace is handsome and your husband sounds like such an amazing man. I learned of your story a few days ago and my heart is broken for you. I know the pain of loosing a child and having to walk away. It's the worst feeling in the world. Having to do the same with your husband is much harder I'm sure. I'm praying for you! If you need someone to talk to or just listen my email is brigey5689@gmail.com or my blog www.brigetterushworth.blogspot.com
I'm so grateful you have had a few moments of peace and hope and pray will all my heart you will be able to have many more and frequent feelings of peace and comfort. I pray each day many times for you and hope you will truly feel the arms of our Father in Heaven wrapped around you as well as Sheldon and Jace. They are such good men...no question Sheldon went in a heroic act trying to save Jace. There is no other possible thought and as you said all who dare suggest it know nothing of the greatness of your pure and loving husband. We are all grieving for you and the great loss of living this mortal life without them even knowing you WILL be together forever. We all do long to take away the hurt and pain but I know how truly impossible that is...nothing and no one other than the healing power of the Savior can ever heal your broken heart. But we will forever be loving you and pleading with Him who loves you most to do so.
Love Andrea
I hope writing this post was therapeutic as you got a chance to cry as you wrote.. Sometimes putting things on my blog is therapeutic for me. I need the peace of reading the comments from people who love me or can relate to me or sympathize me when they read the it. It's also a way for people to her how you are without having to say the words out loud.
I can't stop thinking about the hurt you are feeling. My boys pray for you every night at family prayer and I do in my personal prayers as well. I was honored to be able to sing at the funeral words that I think Jace and Sheldon wanted you to remember. I kept practicing not crying so that you would have the comfort of those beautiful words.
You have been such an inspiration during this. Seeing how you have turned to the gospel provides such a great example for others who are or will experience something similar. I KNOW that your family, friends, your testimony, and Heavenly Father will get you through this trial.
Love you cousin!
I don't know you but wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. You will be and are, in my constant thoughts and prayers. Always remember how loved you are, especially by your 2 angels.
Here I am again :) You are so brave to share you story... but I hope you know how loved you are by complete strangers! I am definitely praying for you! I know that your sweet family will be together again!! Until then, the Lord will give you comfort whenever you ask for it!
My best friend lost her husband 2 years ago and she found so much comfort in meeting people who had been through the same thing, who actually understood. There are LDS conferences for widows and such. I apologize if this offends you to bring this up, but she went to a LDS Widows Conference just 3 weeks after her husband passed and it brought her so much comfort that she didn't know she could receive.
Again, I am praying for you!!
I am so very sorry for your loss. I found your blog through another blog. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I lost my infant son to SIDS 20 months ago and it has been a horrible dream. I can't imagine losing my entire family, our hopes and dreams. I am hurting so much for you and can only pray that your pain will be lifted a bit by the prayers.
I know that with the Plan of Salvation you will see your husband and son again...maybe not soon enough, believe me I know this feeling all to well...
Thinking of you, praying for you.
Ashley
www.3boysn3girls.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband and son. I'm an adoptive mom too and I can just imagine the heartbreak.
My family is praying for you and I hope you find some comfort from all the love that people are sending your way.
Ashley Sullenger has a great blog about grieving if you need a place to start.
(I'll keep the birthmom in my prayers as well, I know how special she is to you)
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the terrible hurt you must be feeling. My sister and her husband also drowned together in a similar situation. What a terrible thing to happen. We are praying for you and I hope you find comfort someday in the Atonement of Christ and the peace that comes from knowing you'll be together again someday.
What a tragic event. I am so sorry for your great loss. I will be praying for you, and your broken heart.
Julie,
Even though you and your family have been on my mind and in my prayers everyday, I thought about you the most during conference. I know the gospel is true with all my heart and know that you will be with your husband and son again. I keep praying everyday that you will have the comfort and strength that you need. I have so much love for you and your family. I also hope that as you write on your blog it helps the aching and loss you feel in your heart. I want you to know that I think you are wonderful and that you have an extra special kind of spirit. I know the lord will be holding you in his arms, giving you comfort and your two special angels will be watching over you every single day until you get to be with them again.
Love Suzie.
I dont know you, but my prayers are with you. I know that I have nothing to say that could make any thing better for you right now, but hopefully it will help to know that you are being thought about and prayed for in your time of need.
I'm so sorry for your loss and your broken heart. I hope you find comfort in knowing that complete strangers are praying for you.
My heart aches for you and your family! Words can't express how grateful I am for you-for sharing your story, your life, your sorrow, your light. Thank you!
I found your blog through my sister-in-law, Ashley Sullenger's blog. I am so terribly sorry for your loss of your two loves. As I sat and read your story, I cried and cried thinking of how much pain you are in. I can't begin to imagine how difficult of a trial you are in. Prayers coming your way from our home in Idaho Falls, Idaho. We love you and know the Lord will be with you through this.
Oh sweetheart, my heart is aching as I read your words...We will keep you in our prayers!
I was born in Henderson,NV! My Grandparents and many extended relatives still live there! I miss Las Vegas! So when you get there tomorrow, give a wave toward Henderson for me...
Much love!
I hope your moments of peace and comfort come more frequently. Your courage and faith in the face of tragedy are truly inspiring. I pray you will have the strength to get up and face each day.
I know nothing I say can take away what I can only imagine is the worst pain someone could go through. You are truly one of the most amazing and inspiring women I have ever met and you have changed my outlook on life. I pray for you many times throughout the day as my thoughts are turned to you and your sweet boys. Just witnessing the small amount that I did, I know you are the best mom little Jace could ever ask for. Know how much we love you and hurt for you. We would love to keep in touch with you and help however we can. m@ticcor.com... We love you. -Michelle
You do not know me, but I just wanted to reach out and let you know that I am praying for you. I hope you will gain strength through prayers and the Plan of Salvation we are so blessed to understand.
My little sister lost her husband a month ago in an accident and I do not know what she would do without the gospel.
Prayers and love your way.
Sending my prayers with so many others.
Hi sweet Julie, I feel honored that we could have you come to our home during the final funeral and burial arrangements in Salt Lake City. We felt such a warm and loving spirit while you and your family were here, and I felt sad when you all decided it was time to head home to Las Vegas. We love you and your sweet family so much. My heart is aching for you and the incredible loss you are carrying. I so loved my sweet nephew Sheldon... And this accident with him and
Jace has hanged me! I felt such a strong spirit during Comference this weekend. I love you and our family loves you so much, we will continue to pray for you and your family. All our love Auntie Dorte
I don't know you, but I just had to comment and let you know that you will be in my prayers, in these upcoming days, weeks and months. I am so sorry for your loss and heartache. I am so glad you have the gospel and knowledge of the plan of salvation. My family has just experienced the loss of a baby- it has been such a hard time, but I can tell you that there are more moments of peace now. It will come... just hang in there.
Julie, I don't know you, but we have some mutual friends. I have been following the events through posts on facebook and am so overwhelmed with sadness for you. I too have a son... I cry but know that I cannot even imagine what you are going through. Heavenly Father has an incredibly important plan for you. You may not feel like it, but you are strong, one of the strongest women God has even made. Makes me think of Christ's mother. Julie, you are in our prayers and I hope to live a good enough life to see how happy you and your boys are when you are reunited in heaven.
Im so incredibly sorry for your loss and will be praying for you.
I am so so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. You are in our families' prayers. I am an adoptive mom and have also lost a child. I am so sorry for your loss.
Love, Jenny
I am another stranger who had a friend share this link... I truly can't comprehend what you are going through and I have no words to provide the comfort you need right now. Just know that many strangers like me are praying for you and share in your heartbreak. Your son was beautiful. May the lord be with you during this difficult time
I live in Seattle and learned of your story through the news. I graduated from BYU in Elementary Education in 2003, so our paths probably crossed at some point. I have been thinking of you for the past two weeks and have been praying for you and your family. I hope you found comfort from Conference this weekend. The recent events in your life are incredibly heartbreaking. I have had a different sort of heartbreaking trial in my life and I have been amazed at how God has helped me feel peace. I hope you too will feel this peace. I know He will help you carry this very heavy burden. I did send your story on to the foundation A Good Grief (agoodgrief.com) to see about getting help in paying for Jace's headstone. I hope that works out for you. I really like the quote from Lisa King's blog (lisajking.blogspot.com)--"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Lisa's husband and son also recently died. Stay strong, Julie! A lot of people are praying for you.
Reading this blog made me cry. I remember the feelings as I buried my daughter Miah. I remember how hard it was and I miss her and hope she is well. I can't imagine having to say goodbye to my wife at the same time and remaining behind all alone. That would rock me to my very core. It has to be so hard and I find you so brave. I don't know you, but know that my heart aches for you and you will be in my prayers tonight.
we miss you....
Julie, I'm sure that was so hard to write. Know that we love you and are praying for you.
I felt like conference had so many beautiful talks in which I thought of you.
You have such a wonderful family. I hope you will find peace and comfort in your new surroundings.
i saw your blog from ashley sullenger and my heart just hurts for you prayers coming your way i cant even imagine loosing my child and husband, hang in there
You will be in my prayers. I'm so sorry.
Dear Julie,
You have been in my thoughts so much over the last few weeks. I am so very sorry. I wish there was something I could do to ease the pain. I have been prayerful that you could experience some amount of peace and comfort during this time. As I have thought about what I could do... I just felt that I owe it to you and Jace and Sheldon to appreciate each day that I have. Everyday is a gift. I have really tried to make sure I remember that, and not take that for granted. Thank you for sharing your feelings on the blog. Continued prayers from Texas. I love your family and have been blessed to spend time in your Las Vegas home. Fun memories with Heather and your family.
Love to you,
Karen
Julie-
I know you have no idea who I am. I have tried over these past couple weeks to think of something profound or special to say to you...only knowing that absolutely nothing that I did or said would take away the magnitude of your grief. I know also that you are being overwhelmed right now with the kind words and deeds of others...but I hope that something I say might help in some way.
My husband grew up in Sheldon's ward, and they were friends in Junior High and High School. The last time I remember seeing you or Sheldon was at your wedding reception...when I remember thinking how happy I was that Sheldon had met such a beautiful girl like you, because he was always so nice and deserved the best.
You have been on my mind almost constantly the past couple weeks. I remember hearing the news that awful Saturday and having my heart sink and being brought to immediate tears. My sweet husband G.J. was also brought to grief when he realized that his dear friend may be gone.
My husband and 2 of Sheldon's other friends, Willy and Levi, made the trip from Vernal last Friday to the funeral. G.J. said that on the way home they commented about all the fun they had had in their youth. They also commented on how tragedies of this kind always happen to “other people” so when something so unimaginable happened to someone they cared about...it truly caused them all to pause and reevaluate their lives to cherish this mortal life more fully.
So I hope that you will find that comfort...that in your sweet husband and son's passing...that families everywhere are hopefully changing for the good. Loving more fully, and having more gratitude with their families. I know that Sheldon would find comfort in knowing he had made a difference in the lives of his friends.
I have prayed and will continue to pray for you daily...that you may be at peace, and find joy despite feeling so alone physically. I pray that spiritually, mentally, and emotionally-you will NEVER feel alone as you are surrounded with the spirit of our Heavenly father, Our Beloved Savior, The Holy Ghost, and the spirits of your sweet husband and precious son.
With Love and Sincerity-
Kandice Searle
I am so sorry for your tremendous loss. You have been in my prayers & will continue to be so.
I found your blog through Asheley's. I can't begin to comprehend the depth of your sorrow and loss. I only know that the Savior's love will be there for you and He alone can bring you the type of comfort you need at this most very trying time in your life. You are right - your life is altered in a way most of us cannot understand. Time will not every completely heal your heart but time will give your heart and mind the chance to come together and the healing and peace will come. I will keep you in my prayers. I will hope and pray for the Lord to be near you and bring comfort to you. I will pray that earthly angels will be there to hold you up. I will pray that your heavenly angels will bring comfort and solace to your heart and soul. May the Lord continue to bless you in ways you will not understand until later and that you will always trust Him to show you the way and guide the rest of your life.
Julie-
You are an inspiration, you always have been.. Since we were kids. I remember my very first sleep over was at your home. I was always thankful to you for your kindness through my life. It is apparent that you turned into a wonderful woman, mother and wife and those qualities are what inspire me most. You make me want to be better, do better, be more thankful... Thank you for being you. We are praying still and always for you.
Love, Misty
At a funeral last summer my bishop said, "Sometimes it takes a loved one's absense to truly realize how very special they were and how lucky we were to know them."
I think walking in house after something like this happens is the hardest. Because all around you are little reminders of how special that person was. For me it was looking at my husband's recycle box in the garage,( of all the silly things) that made me cry. Mike is an enviromentalist and so it made me smile amd then cry. He was always trying to recycle everything!
"And for all that love thank the Lord above..." I love that song too. I know you'd rather have any other way possible, but do not ever forget all of the wonderful things you and your little family have shown us:
Eternal marriage in Gods temple is vital in this life
Life is a precious precious gift that can be taken away in a matter of minutes
We should all tell those we love every day how special they are.
Love and pray for you always,
Amber McEntire
My heart aches for you. We do not know one another, but I am praying for you...for your strength...for peace. Love you. xoxo
i am a stranger, and am so pained by your story. i wish i could sweep away all the negative feelings plaguing you. i wish i could give your family back. but all i have is some love from a stranger. xoxo
A fellow blogger had your link on their site... I am so heartbroken for you & your loss. Lifting you up in prayers as you deal with your grief & the loss you are struggling with. May God give you strength you never realized you had.
my heart breaks for you. your story was found on a blog that i follow and even though i do not know you, you can guarantee that you have a sincere heart down in south florida praying her brains out for you. why on earth do these things happen? i am so so sorry. bless you, sweet mama.
I don't know you but my heart is aching for you! I read your story and just sobbed!
I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through but pleas know that I will be praying for you!
Your family is a FOREVER family and now you have 2 special angels waiting for you and watching over you in the mean time!
I am so so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers. xoxo
I came across your blog when another blogger requested prayers for you. My heart aches for your loss; I cannot to begin to imagine. May you find peace in the coming weeks.
You don't know me, but I wanted to comment anyway. My heart breaks for your loss I will pray for you as you endure the hardest thing a wife and mother should ever have to endure. I pray the Lord will bring to your heart peace and comfort, may He ever be by your side.
what an unbelievably strong woman you must be to share your story so soon after such a tragedy. You are such an example to me and everyone else your story touches. Praying for you!
I came across your blog when another blogger shared your link, I hope you don't mind my post. My heart aches for you and I pray that you find strength, peace, grace, and mercy. God Bless You.
My heart is breaking for you. I have no words... All I can say is that I am praying for you...
I cannot imagine your hearts hurt right now, it is a tragedy, and just something very hard to understand.
God be with you, comfort you and calm your heart as you begin a long road of healing.
Julie,
I don't know you at all. I stumbled upon your blog earlier today, and spent much of the afternoon reading about you, sheldon, and jace. i just want you to know that although i don't know you, my heart hurts for you. and i am praying for you. i wish i had some sort of words that could offer you comfort. but do know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matthew 5:4
May God bless you.
-Deanna
I too am visiting your blog from anothers. My heart is so hurting for you right now. I am terribly sorry for your loss of your sweet husband and precious son. Sending many prayers your way that you will feel some sort of comfort in this very difficult time.
I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I pray that God brings you comfort. I came to know of the Liz Logelin Foundation from another friend's experience of loss and wanted to pass along that name to you in the event you are in need of resources or a supportive community to help.
I don't know you but I came across your blog through someone else asking for prayers for you. I just want you to know that my husband and I are praying for you. Thank you for having the courage to share your story. God bless you.
I am so sorry for your loss.
I am so incredibly sorry for your losses. My heart breaks for you. Saying a prayer for you and your beautiful family.
I am so very sorry for your loss. Words will never convey what I feel for you right now and for your sweet baby boy and husband.
Just know that I am thinking of you, you have touched me in a way that you could never know.
I wish you a heart full of peace in time to come. I really don't know what to say...I hope you continue to find comfort in the love and the memories xo
I found your blog through another blog I follow and my heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry for your loss and can't even imagine how you must be feeling. Wishing you sunnier days ahead
I don't know you, but I hope you can feel that I am lifting you up in prayer. from Jennifer in Virginia
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am so sorry for your pain.
your family is so beautiful and my heart is breaking for you. i am praying for your strength and peace.
I don't know you but I will say a prayer for you. My heart aches hearing your story but my faith is strengthen hearing your faith.
Oh my tears are falling for your sweet beautiful family. My prayers will be with you....
laying here trying not to cry is an understatement. I don't know you but I will be praying for you to find whatever strength it is you need.
I know we haven't seen each other in a few years but I just had to let you know that we are joining the many many others who are praying for you. It's heartbreaking. May you find the peace of the Lord everywhere you go.
Rob Hale
my heart aches for you and your great loss. i am praying for you...
The courage and strength it took to write this post is inspiring. I am praying for you to continue to move through each moment.
I apologize for commenting when I do not know you. I saw a link to your blog on facebook. I know this is so deeply personal for you, but I want you to know that you have touched my heart. I am so so sorry for your loss. When I was about 5 I lost my brother to SIDS, then my parents divorced. I was raised by a single mother. It was hard for her to attend church on her own, but my grandparents helped make sure I attended church. Due to the struggles my mother has had, she has fought depression. I had a bad relationship in college, and since then I have stuggled with my self esteem, gained over 150 pounds, struggled with depression and recently migraines. Despite having a wonderful husband of 14 years, 4 healthy children, and nice home, both parents, etc, I have been almost paralized with saddness that I have not been living my life. I read your blog, and the one linked to yours about the sweet little girl with cancer. I also heard of some friends losses today. I feel ashamed of myself for taking my life for granted. YOU motivate me to LIVE a better life. I am going to be out and involved with my kids, and not close myself off like I have been. I will pray for you, and you will heal. I know that heavenly father loves us and has a plan for us. You are an amazing woman. I am so sorry for your loss, You will be in my heart forever, I pray for your peace. I hope you feel my sincerity. Love and Peace, Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful family you were together. And I'm trusting you were not in this canoe because God has plans for a beautiful life for you here before you're reunited in heaven.
Julie, I am so proud of you for writing this post when I know it must have been very hard. What beautiful and tender moments you shared as a family those last days, I believe those were tender mercies from our Heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Sheldon is a wonderful father, one of the best I have ever known, and he will always be a hero in my eyes and in the eyes of all his family. There is no doubt he died saving his son Jace, Sheldon would do anything for you and Jace.
You are so right that those of us who love and care about you so much want to make you feel better and comfort you, and at the same time we know that no matter what we say or do you are experiencing unimaginable hurt and loss. You are an inspiration and example to me and to all of us. As I read this post what stands out to me most is that even in this time of heartache and loss your testimony of the gospel and our Savior shines through. I know that because you know where to turn for comfort and peace you will be able to keep hanging on through those minutes, hours, days, and feel more of those peaceful moments.
I love the message of the song that Sheldon and Jace want you to remember and I know that you will be together forever.
I am so blessed to have you for a sister-in-law, and have felt that from the moment I met you. I love you.
Des
I've thought about you and your family constantly and you are continually in our prayers. Words can't begin to express the sadness and heartache I feel for you and your whole family. I am so sorry. You are a woman of incredible faith Julie. Your strength, courage and testimony has lifted me and many others. I am so grateful for you. That beautiful song that you shared was sung at Leah's funeral too...It is such a special song. Families really are forever. I know it.
I love you Julie. We are all here for you.
Linda Schlauder
Your friends in Vegas send their love too Julie. When I heard the story I had the same first thought: "There's a man who gave his life trying to save his son." That's a powerful thing. Not many people leave this Earth during such a noble act.
Your family looks so amazing in all the pictures. I've never seen a cuter, happier little boy. How wonderful that Jace's life was spent surrounded by the love and happiness of good parents.
Ryan Fitzgibbons
Love and prayers from a family you do not know but whose hearts and prayers are with you in the days ahead. When your heart is overwhelmed... From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. ~Psalm 61:2
Oh my julie, I am so so very sorry to hear about this so close to home. My heart breaks for you mama. I know the pain of losing a child, my 18 month old died in her sleep 2 years ago. If you ever need someone to talk to I am here for you mjmjam2002@yahoo.com
Your little guy is so full of joy, your pictures are the best. Im so sorry mama, I know how hard this pain is, how empty and alone it feels. Prayers being sent your way
Words are failing me... Please know that so many people are praying for you! Your family is absolutely beautiful!!
I just wanted you to know how truly heartbroken I am for you. I live in SLC, UT and came across your blog. In no way, am I comparing my experience with yours. But I too, had the awful misfortune of burying my son. It was the most gutwrenching moment I've ever experienced. That being said, I can't imagine the magnitude of your loss. I am so so sorry. I pray that you will receive comfort, kindness, sensitivity from others and whatever peace can be found during this tragic tragic time. I know it will be difficult for a LONG time and you will never let them go and that they will live on in your heart and as others remember them with you. I wish I could hug you and cry with you but know that I am thinking of you even though I don't know you in real life. May you be supported and loved by those who can hold you. Much love to you and your sweet family.
Julie I met you a long time ago and my heart is breaking for you now. My brother Brian and sister in law Monica told me what happened two weeks ago and you have been in our families prayers since. You are an amazing women and mother and I know the Lord will bless you. You are loved and I pray you will feel that love. Emily
I was heartbroken reading through your tragedy you endured but I was amazed at your strength. I will continue to pray for even more strength! I pray the beautiful memories will give you peace & comfort. your son Jace is blessed to have you as his Mother, you added such happiness to his everydays!!! My deepest sympathy & many prayers to you, Melissa
Julie,
My heart hurts for you. I prayed for you last night and will continue to do so. The lord will get you thru this. You have two beautiful angels looking over you now. I pray that you find peace and happiness thru this difficult time. I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know there are lots of prayers and thoughts for you and your family.
I too am visiting your blog from anothers... my heart breaks for you. May God comfort your pain. Hugs and prayers
I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.
I am so so sorry for your tragic loss, I am sending many prayers your way and praying that the Comforter will be your constant companion
Like others I found your blog linked from Facebook. I should write words of encouragement but honestly all I really have to say, is this sucks!!!
Shay
Julie,
I'm not sure if you remember me, but my name is Jill Fitzgibbons. I was in the Laurelwood ward with you. I was just a little girl when I knew you but I remember you of course. My mom told me about what happened and I have been praying for you everyday since. May your heart be comforted at this time.
Love, Jill
I don't know you but I will pray for you.This is unimaginable. You are strong with Jesus by your side. Stay close to Jesus, He knows exactly what you are going through right now. All of our love, Scott&Cory
Don't give up. Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead... You keep your chin up. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come." ~Jeffrey R. Holland
Oh Julie!!! Tragic does not to justice to the loss of your family!! I am sorry doesn't cover it either!! The pain we feel when we lose loved ones in death and especially the little ones is most unbearable!! And time! ! We want Time to just stop for a bit. .Just so we can absorb what has happened. . . But it never does stop and neither can we. I know you will honor your husband and son's memory. Keep your faith in God for He did not "take" them from you. . . For the Bible does say "Time and unforseen occurance befalls us all" Yes you will see your family again and be able to hold them once again when Jehovah fufills His promise to us and ressurects them here on earth. When the grief becomes overwhelming pray to Him and he will give you the strength to carry you through. You are in my prayers!
May the Lord Bless you with peace and comfort. I am so very sorry for your loss, words cannot express my sadness for you. Know that you are never alone, that Heavenly Father is only a prayer away, he understands.
I cannot imagine the pain you are going through right now. I am praying for you during this difficult time and pray that you can find peace in knowing that you will be with them one day.
You don't know me, but I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you. I just can't stop thinking about you. You have a special mission to perform on this earth, I know it. Your faith and testimony have had a huge impact on so many already. Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me."
Much love and prayers from eastern Washington!
I am crying, no words will do....sending lots of prayers and a big (((((HUG))))) to you
Julie, I know there isn't much I could say that hasn't been said already. I am so very sorry for your loss. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard about Sheldon and your beautiful Jace. You are still in my prayers!
Love,
Amy Brown (from Southland)
I lost my husband very unexpectedly in Oct and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to live through. I am so sorry for your loss and I am praying for you!
I am a stranger who found your story online. The English language lacks any words for tragedies like this, probably because there should NEVER BE tragedies like this. I absolutely cannot imagine experiencing a loss as deep as this one. I am SO SO sorry. I know they're just words and everyone says them to you, but know that I truly mean them with every ounce of my being. No one should ever have to experience pain this horrendous. I have only read this entry and the pain I'm feeling for you is absolutely excruciating. I truly wish that the world could only divvy out so much grief at one time - that in some way the sorrow I'm feeling for you would ease some of yours.
Please accept the love and virtual hugs that I'm sending from Ontario, Canada.
Julie, I want you to know that probably 30 times a day I utter the words, "Oh, Heavenly Father, PLEASE bless Julie". Also I plead at night for you to be granted peace. I hope you are getting some much deserved peace. I won't stop praying for you.
Jessica Nicol
Julie, I am so sorry! I found your blog through Ashley's, above. You are in my prayers!
I know you don't know me. But I lost my husband unexpectedly and I still had children at home. It has been 10 years now. I feel him around me often. I was told in blessings I was to reach out to others in this situation. You have so much heartache. I wish I could come to your home, hold you and let you tell me about your wonderful husband and son. I love the verse you chose at the end of your blog for I have sung it over and over and over. Michael also has a song "You're not alone." I have just hit repeat on that one and sang at the top of my lungs and cried and cried and cried. Your faith will get you through, but as you say good bye to your life as you know it know that there are those of us who would want to help buoy you up. Life is eternal and the spirit world is all around us. Hang in there, the Lord will take your pain away as you turn to Him. I am so very very sorry for your loss.
Prayers from Dallas Texas for you Julie and you grieving heart.
Julie
I am so sorry for your loss. As I read what happened that day, I had tears in my eyes and a wish in my heart that you had the gospel... and you do! How great it is to know you have an Eternal Family and will be reunited with them one day. Conference was wonderful and I know there were messages there just for you.
You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a long time to come.
You are loved.. even by complete strangers.
Kari Babson... Shallotte, NC
My heart is breaking for you. The grief that accompanies such a loss seems so unbearable. Thank heanens for the Atonement. My parents both died on the same day and it was just before General Conference. Most of it was a blurr, but the peace and truth I felt about eternal families was my life line in a long and sometimes very lonely healing process. god bless you.
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Like you, I am an adoptive mom and the fear of losing a child after fighting so long and hard to become a parent is my worst fear. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
I do not know you. But I will keep you in my prayers.
I just wanted to tell you that I am also praying for you. My friend told me about your blog. I am so sorry for your loss and the immense pain you are experiencing. My husband and baby daughter died nine years ago. I KNOW the Savior heals and I am thankful for him and his atonement.
Oh, Julie. Thank you for writing this. I understand how hard it must have been to even start writing, but I also understand the feeling of a weight lifting from your shoulders after you have shared such a sad life story. My prayers are constantly with you.
All I have wanted to do since hearing about this is give you a hug. I know the feeling of having to bury children and walk away. I can't imagine having to bury your husband at the same time, and my heart is broken for you.
Your words are definitely words of inspiration, and I hope and pray that you are comforted every day as you go through your life creating your new normal. Sending my love and wishing we still lived near so I could say this in person.
Sierra Jensen
sethandsierrajensen.blogspot.com
I am so very sorry for your losses, Julie. It breaks my heart to know a small taste of what you are enduring. My husband was killed by a drunk driver 20 months ago, leaving me a widow at the age of 30. It still seems ridiculous for me to use that "W" word, even still. Anyway. I just want you to know that you're in my prayers tonight. I was given your blog address from a friend who is friends with one of your friends. Down the road, when and if you think it would be helpful, there is an LDS Facebook group (it is private, so not just anyone can look at it) that is made up of over 800 LDS widows and widowers--many of whom are young like us. I'd love to help you get connected to them if you ever want it. Out of all the grief support out there, this has been the BEST group for me to associate. Having the same foundation and religious beliefs as the people in this group has helped me, and many of the questions that come up due to our faith are answered by many in the group...or quotes from prophets and apostles are often found and cited. Much love to you. Take time for yourself and be assured that there are other young widows and widowers out there rooting for you. Hugs.
Your story has just broken my heart. You are a strong, beautiful person, inside and out, and that is apparent even without meeting you. I am so very sorry to hear of this tragedy and I know your life will never be the same. I pray that you will be blessed with days filled with happy memories more often than days filled with sadness.
Post a Comment